Locate2u the Company & its Products ▾

Locate2u Pulse is a software platform designed for any delivery or service business. Learn more here.

Locate2u News

Locate2u News offers up-to-date logistics and e-commerce insights from across the globe, keeping you informed on industry trends and developments.

Locate2u Pulse

Locate2u is a software platform designed for any delivery or service business. Our solution helps these businesses improve their route efficiency, improve their customer’s delivery experience, and increase productivity, all while reducing the time it takes to plan routes.

Young male entrepreneurs drive Turkey’s e-commerce growth

Young male entrepreneurs drive Turkey’s e-commerce growth
Young male entrepreneurs drive Turkey’s e-commerce growth

Turkey has seen significant growth in e-commerce, specifically in household appliances, electronics, footwear, and accessories. 

In 2023, more than 1.85 trillion Turkish liras were spent on online shopping, and Istanbul has the highest e-commerce compliance index. The ministry of commerce is projecting that the high number of trade will again deliver high figures this year. 

Businesses spend time and money online

Most (76%) businesses that use online shopping options in Turkey are sole proprietorships. The rest are limited companies and joint-stock companies. “Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Bursa, and Antalya are the top five cities with the most businesses engaged in e-commerce,” says the ministry.  

Young men (25-44)  are more likely to purchase online. Over 70% of the owners of sole proprietorships “engaged in e-commerce are male.” The remaining nearly 30% are female. 

November was the busiest month online in Turkey. E-commerce volume grew by 50% above the year-on-year average. 

According to E-commerce News, nearly 560,000 online companies are registered in the country. The highest turnover of goods is household appliances. On average, customers have to wait 46 hours (about two days) to have their orders delivered.

Australian e-commerce in perspective

To put Turkey’s online sales performance in perspective, 8 in 10 Australian households shopped online in 2023. Australia Post says 9.5 million households (+1.4% YoY) across the nation received a parcel in the year under review. 

There was a surge in online shopping in Australia, up 9.1% in 2023. AusPost noticed that more customers are buying groceries online, resulting in significant growth in food and liquor online shopping. 

In Australia, customers are making online purchases part of their weekly checklist. Approximately one in seven Australian households made weekly purchases.

ALSO READ: Generation Y’s spending power spotlighted in latest AusPost report

Baby Boomers (60 to 78-year-olds) spent 7% more YoY on e-commerce, with an average basket size for online shopping totaling an average of $109. 

However, GenY spent more than any other generation in 2023, with a total of $22 billion.

NOW READ: German online grocery bursts with opportunity

About the author

Mia is a multi-award-winning journalist. She has more than 14 years of experience in mainstream media. She's covered many historic moments that happened in Africa and internationally. She has a strong focus on human interest stories, to bring her readers and viewers closer to the topics at hand.

Capterra Pixel